Do you ever come home from a long day of life and just want to shovel every food item in arms length into your mouth? No? Well, props to you if that is not the case, but for some of us (cough, cough) the stomach is never empty.
My sweet tooth is usually the winner in the snack pull (especially at night).
I have to be honest when I say that it has been quite some time since I last pulled a human vacuum cleaning of my fridge/pantry in search of the “perfect snack,” but not by any means because my appetite has gone away.
My awareness of “what’s REALLY in my food?” has increased from somewhat paying attention to eliminating major things from my daily lifestyle that I find to be unimportant to my personal health and well-being.
You could say that I very loosely track my macros, and by that I mean I would rather eat healthy, nutrient packed whole foods and what I feel my body needs than track macronutrients down to the gram. This is what I find to work best for my body and the exercise regime I follow!
*Insert perfect snack here*
After browsing for recipes of what chocolate bit of goodness or what delicious cookie I could shove in my face, I stumbled upon this recipe for the Perfect Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies by Texanerin. I decided to tweak the recipe a bit to cater to my dietary needs and ended up pretty satisfied with the results.
They’re the perfect balance of sweet and satisfactory, have a crunchy outer body, and have a thick, soft & chewy center. And best of all, they keep you full!
With only 10 ingredients, these little guys will kill your craving and leave your tummy happy!
Almond Coconut Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies (Dairy Free/Gluten Free)
Yields: 16 Cookies | Calories: 136 | Protein: 3.2g | Carbs: 10.6g | Fat: 10.4
- 1 cup Almond Flour*
- 1/4 cup Coconut Flour
- 3 tbsp Organic Cane Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 3 tbsp Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1 large Egg
- 3 tbsp Almond Butter (my favorite is Justin’s Maple! Equally delicious with peanut butter)
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (ok, I lied…these were not DF)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine almond and coconut flour, baking soda, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine coconut oil and cane sugar with a hand-held or standing electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Add the egg into the wet ingredients and mix on low until blended.
- Incorporate almond butter and vanilla into wet ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and blend on medium-high until blended. Consistency will be slightly clumpy and textured.
- Gently fold chocolate chips into batter.
- Use a small cookie scoop to portion cookies onto baking sheet.
- One of two options – leave cookies in scoop form as is for a thicker cookie or gently press down on the center with the palm of your hand (went with the latter for this batch).
- Bake cookies for 14 – 17 minutes, depending on your desired texture and consistency (I baked mine for 15). ENJOY!
*note: I have made this recipe using oat flour (rolled oats ground to powder consistency) in place of almond flour and they turned out great!